Former Bizible CEO & co-founder and Marketo/Adobe VP, Aaron Bird goes inside the deal process from Bizible to Marketo to Adobe, tactics, negotiating, and managing emotions.
For extras, get my weekly email on Seattle startups.
You might have seen Marketo acquire Bizible in 2018.
Then you probably saw Adobe acquire Marketo 6 months later.
Aaron Bird was part of both. First as CEO at Bizible, then as VP Product at Marketo.
Bizible had 8 years of grinding, $20M in funding, and 1000s of customers. Then a successful acquisition by Marketo. 6 months later Marketo gets acquired by Adobe for $4.7B.
Aaron shared his story and lessons on this episode of The Built in Seattle Podcast.
- The long engagement that led to a fast acquisition.
- Why he broke the rules of negotiating and gave a number.
- How talks started, stopped, and started again much later.
- What is "the best kind of intro" to another CEO.
- The hidden upside of dealing with Private Equity buyers.
- The emotional cases for/against selling.
- How a $4.7B acquisition is similar to a smaller startup acquisition.